Last year, I recommended going to one of Philly’s many street fairs and festivals, as a great cheap date idea: There’s (usually) no cost for entry, there’s (almost always) live music or entertainment to enjoy, and there’s lots of cool stuff to look at and fun foods to try! Of course, if you don’t want to spend date money at the food stands you can always bring your own and dine picnic style – and bringing your own water anyway is a smart (and cost-saving) move.
In short, Philly’s festivals come in all shapes and sizes, and they are a great opportunity to venture out to a different park or neighborhood, mingle with a new crowd, get some sun and some exercise, see some great live music, meet up with friends, or just enjoy the company of your date.
Like last year, I’ve again compiled a list of upcoming street fairs and festivals for your next cheap date! As you can see, there is definitely something for everyone this summer! Mark your (2011) calendars for:
- JUNE 17-19th: West Oak Lane Jazz and Arts Festival, 7100–7400 blocks of Ogontz Avenue
- JUNE 18: The Kimmel Center Citibank Summer Soltice ($10 admission, noon-2:30am)
- JUNE 19: Portuguese Fest at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- JUNE 21: Fete de la Musique at Sofitel (12-7pm, complimentary sangria and hors d’eourvre 5-7pm)
- JUNE 24-26th: Latin Roots and Rhythm Festival at Settlement House in Queen Village ($12/day)
- JUNE 24-26: Taste of Philadelphia Festival at Penn’s Landing (with concert and fireworks June 25th
- JUNE 25: Latin American Street Fair, Queen Street in Queen Village ($5)
- JUNE 25: Let’s Love Logan Community Festival (5200 block of Old York Road)
- JUNE 25: Clark Park festival in Clark Park, West Philly
- JUNE 25-26: Manayunk Arts Festival in Manayunk
- JULY 2: Chinatown Block Party, 12-4pm at 10th and Race streets
- JULY 2-4: Super Scooper All-You-Can-Eat Ice Cream Festival, Penn’s Landing ($7 fee)
- JULY 4: Wawa’s Welcome America Independence Day Festival and party on the Parkway, headlined this year by the Roots!
- July 4: Mercer Street Block Party! Great line-up of local bands, $5 a cup for beer, starting 2pm (219 Mercer Street).
- JULY 9-10: Hispanic Fiesta at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- JULY 9-10: Chestnut Hill Book Festival
- JULY 16: Bastille Day Festival at Eastern State Penitentiary
- JULY 16: Global Fusion Festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- July 16: Philadelphia Orchard Project Music Festival at Liberty Lands Park (Adv. tix $10. Day of $15. All proceeds support POP’s work planting orchards in Philly).
- JULY 31: 6th Annual Classic Car Show & street festival, E.Passyunk Ave
- July 31: 2nd Street Festival, between 700 and 1100 block of 2nd street
- AUG 6: ACANA African Festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- AUG 7: Maddecent Block Party at the Piazza
- AUG 13: Rittenhouse Square Block Party on 18th btwn Walnut & Locust
- AUG 14: Festival of India at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- AUG 21: Carribean festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- AUG 27: Manuta Family Day fest at 34th and Mantua near the Philadelphia Zoo (rain date Aug 28)
- Sept 9-10: Philadelphia Beekeeper’s Guild Philadelphia Honey Festival (multiple locations)
- SEPT 10: Southeast Asian Dragon Boat Festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- SEPT 11: Mexican Independence Day festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- SEPT 11: 26th Annual Ferria del Barrio, 5th street from Lehigh to Somerset
- SEPT 17: 6th Annual Philadelphia DooWop Festival at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing
- SEPT 24: Girard Fest (on Girard between Front and Second)
- OCT 1: International Dragon Boat Festival, on the Schuylkill
- OCT 1: Collingswood Book Festival, Collingswood, NJ
Keep checking back for updates and additions! And for a list of ALL festivals (including those with entry fees above $15, film fests, and events taking place in the greater Philadelphia area, check out this awesome festival roster from Visit Philly!